Carla Bruni, an ex-model and musician, who now is the wife of French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, has been quoted as saying “I am a tamer [of men], a cat, an Italian… I am faithful… to myself. I am monogamous from time to time but I prefer polygamy and polyandry [its female equivalent].” Granted she isn’t French, but her attitudes on sex seem to be aligning more with the general attitude French females have toward sex.
According to a recent Telgragh UK news article the women of France are becoming increasingly assertive in their sexual behavior while “1 in 5 men have no interest in sex.” The article is based on a recent 600 page report on Sexuality in France. In this report they conducted over 12,000 in-depth interviews with French citizens from 2005-2006. Here are some of the observations the report made about French citizens and their sex lives:
- women have twice as many partners as they did in 1970 (from 2 partners in 1970 to now 5 partners)
- the number of men’s sexual partners has stayed the same at 13 partners
- male and female sexual behavior is beoming more similar
- a woman’s average age for her first sexual encounter is 17 and a half (a man’s is 4 months earlier)
- 9 out of 10 women over the age of 50 remain sexually active compared to 50% in 1970
- men are still more adept at disassociating sex from love (however researchers attribute this to nurture vs. nature)
I don’t have the stats on the United States women, but if were to guess I would say the trend might be similar to France…
No related posts.